Starting November 6th, 2023, MEDIC Regional Blood Center will update our donor eligibility criteria as recommended by the FDA. These updates include details related to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) or Mad Cow disease, sexual orientation, and hepatitis.
View our eligibility page for all donor eligibility criteria.
If you were deferred for any of the reasons below, you are now eligible to donate blood products as of 11/6/23.
Please note: you can still be deferred based on your answers to other eligibility questions.
- 3 months or more in the United Kingdom from 1980 through 1996.
- 5 years or more in France or Ireland from 1980 through 2001.
- Receipt of a blood transfusion in the UK, France, or Ireland from 1980 to the present.
Note that FDA continues to require donor deferral for the following CJD-related factors, even after 11/6/23:
- Donor received a human cadaveric dura mater allograft.
- Donor volunteers that they received cadaveric pituitary human growth hormone (hGH).
- Donor volunteers that they have been diagnosed with any form of CJD, or who has a blood relative diagnosed with a familial prion disease.
If you have previously been deferred due to CJD risk, please contact MEDIC before donating.