MEDIC Regional Blood Center will be screening all donors for COVID-19 Antibodies from August 3rd through the 31st. The antibody screening is a part of our effort to identify COVID Convalescent Plasma donors to increase inventory to meet the demand of our regional hospitals. Test results will be mailed only to those with positive results.
All donors in August will be seen by appointment-only. MEDIC will not be seeing walk-in donors in August. Appointments allow for social distancing and for our staff to control donor flow.
MEDIC is requiring donors to wear a mask or face covering. If a donor does not have a mask or face covering, MEDIC will provide one.
What you need to know:
- MEDIC is NOT performing COVID-19 virus testing for people with COVID-19 symptoms, or to determine if you have previously had COVID-19.
- Donors must have a successful blood or blood-related product donation to receive the antibody test.
- MEDIC will not be providing sample-only tests at any time.
- MEDIC does not perform the antibody testing on site. It is performed by an outside vendor. Because of this, please do not call MEDIC to inquire about your results.
- Results will be provided to those with positive results in a letter via USPS.
- We will not provide results via phone call, email or the MEDIC donor portal.
- We cannot counsel you on the results of the test. Any questions should be directed to your physician.
- As always, you should be healthy and well when donating. And, you should eat a healthy meal and be hydrated before attempting to give.
- MEDIC continues to perform a temperature screening at check-in and anyone with a temperature of 99.5F or higher will need a second reading. If the second reading is still 99.5F or higher then you will be asked to return at another time when you have been temperature free for 24 hours without medication.
Where to go:
All Month – MEDIC Regional Blood Center Donor Centers:
- Downtown Knoxville – 1601 Ailor Avenue
- Farragut – 11000 Kingston Pike
- Athens – 213 E. Washington Avenue
- Crossville – 79 S. Main Street
- August 3 – 7 – Knoxville Civic Coliseum/3rd Floor Meeting Room
- August 10 – 14 – New Midland Plaza (Blount County)
- August 17 – 21 – Sevierville Golf/Country Club
- August 24 – 28 – Calvary Baptist Church (Oak Ridge)
- August 31 – Various Locations
Make Your Appointment:
- Click here to make your appointment or visit www.medicblood.org for a full list of locations and hours.
- Appointments can also be made by calling 865-524-3074 or 865-521-2658.
As a reminder, the blood on the shelves now is what would be used in a trauma event and it takes three days for donated blood to be processed and ready for distribution. The COVID Convalescent Plasma on our shelves now is what is used daily to treat COVID-19 patients